Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The first harvest

The garden is coming along nicely. We thinned the mesclun mix and harvested some chives, sage and thyme. Our squash and beans are just popping up, while the peas are already six inches tall and clambering all over themselves. The nasturtium are coming up happily, and on Saturday we went to a local plant sale and bought some heirloom tomato and chili pepper seedlings. It's starting to look like a real garden out there.

With this harvest, and admittedly I did some noshing earlier, I have now fulfilled my resolution to grow something and eat it. The seeds I sowed at the end of April have now turned into the tender lettuces you see in the picture. They are delicious, and it is a tremendously satisfying feeling to eat something I grew myself. Now I can't wait for the rest of it to come up. On a sadder note, my okra failed to sprout. I think I put it in too soon and the poor things froze. However, I have more seed and plan to put some more in later in the Summer. Also, my scallions made it to about two inches tall and have stalled. I'm going to give them another few weeks, but if they continue to sit on their hands I'm going to pull them up and eat them--and put something else in where they were. Kale, most likely.

Flush with my success, I called my sister in Virginia, who gleefully informed me that she's been getting CSA deliveries for six weeks already. And that they continue into December. Ah, New England...

No comments:

Post a Comment