Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A few random comments

I lay in bed for a long time this morning, trying to suss out the difference between de rigeur and apropos. They both generally indicate correctness, but in what manner each? The best I could figure (aka convince myself of) was that when something is apropos it is fitting for an occasion--appropriate, if you will. Whereas de rigeur seems to me to be more strictly correct. For example:

"Jimmy, wearing a tuxedo to the prom would be apropos. Wearing trousers, however, is de rigeur."

Of course I could easily, and in less time than it took to type out these musings, look up the actual definitions of these words and be done with it. But I shan't! Nay!

*****************

The garden is already sprouting weeds, volunteer garlic from the neighboring plot, and strawberries. I spent some time in the morning sunshine finding rocks and logs to build out the perimeter of the plot. I'm picking up a truckload of composted horse manure on Sunday, and plan to pile it on as deeply as possible. Granted, I also plan to share the compost with whomever helps unload it, so I've a bit of an internal dialectic going between wanting a deep rich layer of compost on my plot and wanting help shoveling it out of the truck. Helpfully, I did buy myself a shovel. It's my first non-snow shovel, and I couldn't be more proud.


*****************

Last night I braised some pork spareribs Laura and I picked up at the Pawtucket (pronounced "p'tucket") farmers' market. They were so delicious I've decided to write down the recipe. As always, quantities are approximate.

Cider-Clementine Braised Spareribs
Serves 2

2 lb Pork spareribs (about six ribs), cut into two-rib segments
1 c Apple cider
3/4 c Clementine juice (from three clementines; feel free to use oranges)
1/2 c Soy sauce
1 Small onion, diced
1 1/2 tablespoon Asian chili-garlic sauce
1 thumb-sized knob of ginger, peeled and sliced into rounds
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon coffee syrup


Preheat the oven to 275. Heat a little oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high until shimmering. Pat the pork dry and season with salt and pepper. Brown pork, two minutes per side, in batches if necessary, and remove to a plate. Lower the heat to medium-low and saute the onion until translucent. Add the chili-garlic sauce and ginger, and continue to saute for another minute. Add the cider, juice, soy sauce, sugar, and coffee syrup and bring to a simmer. Return the pork to the pot, put the lid on, and place in the oven for 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 hours, turning every 45 minutes, until the bones slide out of the meat.

Remove the pot from the oven and remove the pork from the pot. At this point you can let everything cool and refrigerate for up to two days, and/or proceed. Skim the fat from the braising liquid and strain the remaining liquid. Return the braising liquid to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce by 1/2 or until thickened. If necessary, make a slurry with 2 tablespoons cornstarch and water in a bowl and whisk in to the sauce to thicken (I had to). Season to taste.

Return pork to the pot with the sauce and toss to coat/warm. Garnish with sliced scallion.

2 comments:

  1. So much to comment on:
    1) So, you found something to do with the coffee syrup. We actually went through a coffee syrup (not Aristocrat) period because we were making, you guessed it, coffee milk shakes; aka, frappes.
    2) Funny, I have never really seen "apropos" and "de rigeur" all that similar and would agree with the distinction you made. In many ways, they are kind of mirror images - saying something is "apropos" is a compliment while saying something is "de rigeur" suggests not doing it would be really screwing up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coffee syrup remains on notice. It will need to show me a few more applications to forestall an untimely meeting with Mr. Drain. The ribs were a good start.

    These are the sorts of things a fellow things of when unemployed for six months.

    ReplyDelete