Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Oh and that whole "chasing the dream" thing...

I haven't mentioned the purpose of this move recently. Namely, me getting myself a job at a bakery and learning to bake bread. When doing research about Providence bakeries, I usually found Seven Stars at the top of lists. Seven Stars has a retail location near our apartment, and since moving I have been enjoying their bread. I called Jim the baker a few weeks ago, before we moved, and he said encouraging things my plan. Specifically, the very heartening thing he told me was that they--and many other bakeries--prefer to hire people with no experience. At the time, Jim told me to call him after we moved to Providence and he'd show me around their production facility.

So I gave myself a week after we moved, to settle in and get progressively more nervous, before calling him again. I left a message yesterday and he called me back a few minutes ago. He didn't recall our conversation; they get numerous such calls per month. "But," he said, "we usually don't get a second call." Point to me. I re-explained my situation and he re-affirmed the desirability of hiring the tabula rasa type. Then he told me that Seven Stars is opening a third retail location this Spring (sorry if that was a spoiler), and that they might in fact be adding a new baking position. Soon. How about I come in and he and the production manager give me a little shakedown/interview/audition? How about Monday at 5?

And I thought I was nervous BEFORE calling him.

No comments:

Post a Comment