Saturday, March 7, 2009

Chow Rhode Island, Episode 1: Hot Weenies

Welcome to the first installment of my newest feature, Chow Rhode Island, wherein I track down and consume as many Rhode Island-specific foodstuffs as possible. For a small state, Rhode Island boasts a huge number of local delicacies. I'd heard of a number of these items through Laura's Ocean State family, but looking at the remarkable list on wikipedia, it became clear to me that I needed to find these strange and wonderful things... and eat them. I'm on a mission from God. First up, Hot Wieners.



Subject: Hot Wieners
Aliases: Hot Weenies, Gaggers, Destroyers, Belly-busters, New York System Wieners
Major Features: Frankfurter, White bun, Meat sauce
Options: Onions, Mustard, Celery salt

Assessment: There's only one way to order hot weenies: all the way. You'll shortly be looking at a plate with two (gotta get at least two) small hot dogs, either steamed or off rollers, topped with a squirt of yellow mustard, a splash of meat sauce, a heaping mound of shredded onion, and a shake of celery salt. The dogs are tasty pork & veal, the meat sauce is less sauce and more meat, spiced with paprika, garlic, allspice, chili, and other things. The sauce is similar in consistency to taco filling, and not spicy. I was expecting something overflowing with goopy sauce, but there was a modest amount of meat topping. What was in abundance was the onions. Hella onions. The hot weenies were very tasty.

Within a one-mile radius of our apartment there are at least four establishments offering the New York System. We visited the famous Olneyville shop, figuring what's good enough for Tommy Caffee is good enough for us. Plus it's nearby. The New York System, a somewhat enigmatic name, seems to refer to the practice of hot weenie jockeys stacking the buns up their bare arms as they prepare the wieners. I'll admit it's a bit odd, but apparently also a key part of the dish.

Conclusion: I was apprehensive about eating a hot dog topped with meat, as it sounded gastrointestinally ominous, but after putting away two each, Laura and I report no ill effects. While I am unsure as to what the "hot" in hot wieners refers to--they were not remotely spicy, though warm in temperature--I can recommend that all carnivores in Rhode Island should definitely get their hands on a few gaggers.

Stay tuned for the next installment of Chow Rhode Island, where I shamelessly consume things to which I may or may not be allergic!

2 comments:

  1. I came across your blog today, and was very impressed, especially with the story about hot weiners. I would like to invite you to my Rhode Island website, that I hope you will enjoy: www.pagesintime.com/ri
    Keep up the great work!

    www.pagesintime.com/ri
    NY System Hot Weiners and Other Rhode Island Favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the detailed posting. I've been hearing about Hot Weenies from all my Rhode Island friends and have been dying to try them. As a hot dog connisuer from Connecticut, (a big shout out to Merrit Canteen) I'm looking forward to trying something new. Well tonight is the night and a bunch of us are going to New York System. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete